Andrew Thomas Weil (Born June 8, 1942) is an American author and physician, best known for establishing and popularizing the field of integrative medicine. Weil is the author of several best-selling books and operates a website and monthly newsletter promoting general health and healthy aging. He is the founder and Program Director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine (formerly the Program in Integrative Medicine), which he started in 1994 at the University of Arizona. He founded Weil Lifestyle LLC.
From the The site of Dr. Weil: 5 Steps to a Healthful Weight
We all know the "secret" of successful weight loss: Eat less and exercise more. It's not always easy, but by adopting healthy eating habits and a regular exercise routine, you are sure to lose weight without depriving yourself of nourishing, satisfying food. And if you continue those good habits after you reach your goal, you will have an excellent chance of maintaining your desired weight. Here are some tips for successful weight loss:
- Avoid artificial sweeteners and synthetic fat substitutes. They are unhealthy and don't help you develop good eating habits.
- Dietary supplements or "fat-burning herbs" are usually just stimulants - don't rely on them. The pounds will surely return once you've stopped taking them.
- Build lean body mass. Strength training burns excess calories and influences the way your brain regulates hunger, making you less susceptible to food cravings.
- Pay attention to the mental and spiritual aspects of weight control. Use relaxation exercises - instead of food - to combat anxiety.
- Accept your body. You may see it as less than perfect, but it is beautiful just the same.